Sunday, May 18, 2008

Junk Yard Okies


Oklahoma is not the place to have a garage sale if you want to make any sort of profit on your belongings. I made a whopping $4 this past Saturday during our neighborhood garage sale. I had a pack n'play out there, some pottery barn crib bedding, a bouncer seat, baby walker, and a few other things. I had a couple people ask about the pack n'play but apparently 15$ was WAY out of their price range. It was in good condition but used. I had a lady in a red neck twang tell me "Oh that crib leans, I wouldn't put my great - grand baby in that...but I'd take it for $5." Oh, so you're cheap and yet generous enough to take it off my hands. Un-freakin-believable!! I tried to sell a newborn gown for 50 cents and she said "would you take a quarter?" Sure, why the heck not...now I can buy that piece of bubble gum I've been wanting. I get that haggling comes with the territory at a garage sale but here there just isn't any limit. If I would have offered things for free they would have wanted me to load it in their car too!! No more garage sales for me!


I'm feeling the same emotion I felt when we managed the Safari Motel in good 'ol Provo, UT and I was 8 mos pregnant with Cameron. This guy had come around selling books door to door and I was clearly uninterested. He ended up calling me some choice names for not buying his crap and I ended up pushing him out the door of the motel! He claimed "Assault!" And I said, "Please call the police because I know they'll get a kick out of this!" It might just be the pregnancy hormones in me making me so belligerent. Maybe I will mellow out in a few weeks.


4 comments:

Amy said...

Gotta love garage sales. I would rather post my stuff on craigslist.com or on the local freecycle site. No choice individuals to haggle with over a quarter.

BTW ~ who the freakin' heck do you know in ENGLAND?!?!?

(PS - my site looks new again :))

Lindsay said...

Don't know but I get around-you know?

Craig said...

What would we do if you EVER mellowed out?!? That story cracks me up!

Real Life Roberts said...

First of all...you get to have prego hormones anytime you want...heck you get whatever you want during the 9 or 10 months pregnant! Let be honest those who are come to the garage sales are "professional garrage sale shoppers" and do a whole lot better of heckeling than we do selling... I hate garage sales! No more for me either! Oh I love you blog layout...cute! Getting ready for the girlly girl coming!