Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Super Saturday Project



Check me out!



Check out my cute new apron I made today at our Souper Saturday event at church....yeah, I know, you likey! I was so happy I finished it, but not without the help from my good friend Joni...Thanks, Joni! The link to her website is Modern Myrtle where you can order your own along with several other vintage-esque goodies! I feel like I really need to bake now...time for some cinnamon rolls...yum! This recipe is the best cinnamon roll recipe ever! It's from my friend, Paula Deen, Food Network star. Try it out!



Dough:
1/4-ounce package yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup scalded milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter or shortening
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg
3 1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour


Filling:
1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
3/4 cup raisins, walnuts, or pecans, optional


Glaze:
4 tablespoons butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 6 tablespoons hot water


Directions


Heat oven to 350 degrees F.


In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside. In a large bowl mix milk, sugar, melted butter, salt and egg. Add 2 cups of flour and mix until smooth. Add yeast mixture. Mix in remaining flour until dough is easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
When doubled in size, punch down dough. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Sprinkle with walnuts, pecans, or raisins if desired. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.


P.S. I add cream cheese to the icing cuz I like it like that!

6 comments:

Amy said...

Cute!!!

Now I want one. If you bring instructions, we can make them over Thanksgiving.

Sally said...

Oh I'm sooo jealous that you finished yours. It was all I could do to get through cutting mine out. I'm determined to finish this week though!

Kory Jane said...

You look so cute. Just add the 50's hairstyle and you could go totally glam with that. I would have loved to make one, but I was being totally honest when I said I was sewing machine challenged.

Mark Youngs said...

Linz, your apron looks great! I remember making my first apron in 7th grade sewing class, but it has a plastic hoop that fit through a little tunnel at the waistbaned and then just snapped around your waist -- no apron strings! Now about Thanksgiving, If you don't go down to Houston/galveston, the two of you can come here, and Stephen & Jenny if they can get away. I will have to work on the Wed. and Fri. but figured you could have fun together those days and I will be off on Thursday, Sat. and Sun. Let me know. XOXO, mom

p.s. the ribs were OUTSTANDING!

Lisa said...

I haven't even started sewing mine yet. I'm jealous. It looks great!

Pepple said...

Go you! That is so cute!!