Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Where Did You Hear That?


I knew the day was coming. It was just a matter of time. And I knew who would bring it up too. Tonight at dinner Cameron asked, "Mom, is fu** a bad word?"

Mom: Uuuuuuhhhhh, Yeah. Where did you hear that?

Cameron: From my friend at the bus stop this morning. He said "Oh, Fu**!"

Mom: Well, we never say that word. It is used by people who can't express themselves in a smart way. In other words, it makes you sound really dumb, so never, never say that.

Cameron: Why? What does it mean?

Mom: It means whoever says it sounds like an idiot, so that's why we don't say it.

Cameron: Oh, okay.


Let's hope this was explanation enough. And that Sunday Sarah doesn't blurt it out at church saying just how bad of a word it is. Aaaaaahhhhh!


8 comments:

Julie Markham said...

I was in 7th grade when I first heard that word at school. (different time, I know...) I came home and asked my mother what it meant. My grandmother was visiting. I knew I had deeply upset them. They tried to be calm and explain. In the end, I gathered that the word was a medical treatment. Years passed before I finally caught on to the meaning. My advice: please revisit this, just perhaps not at the dinner table. Make sure he understands. He needs to get this information from you, not his friends. Geesh. Do I sounds like a seminary teacher, or what??

Craig said...

Julie,
We loved you as Seminary Teacher!! BTW, Hope all is well with you.

Lindz, if you start using the word around your house a little more, he won't be so surprised when he hears it at school. (HA! j/k).
-Craig

Becky said...

Had a much needed time this morning at breakfast. Hope you feel better, thanks for your friendship and smiling face.

Unknown said...

Don't you just love these times of being the mom? :) Abbie actually learned the sh** word from a little boy in her primary class at church. Came home and asked if it was a bad word? I gave her pretty much the same spill you gave your little guy and then she said that Tyler, the little boy that so nicely taught her the word, said it's not a bad word in their house. I had to laugh. Fun times! :)

Holly and Chris Kneeland said...

You got to love the school bus! They learn way to much there! You handled it very well.

Unknown said...

oh, i could totally see at least a couple children in our ward acting out the church scenario you mentioned.

"thank you for mommy, who taught us that F@#% is a bad word we shouldnt say..."

Amy said...

Gotta love being the mom.

Same thing happened with Thomas at the dinner table. "Mom, is f*#% a bad word?" I almost dropped the plate I was rinsing.

It also makes me wonder, did we ever do that to Mom? I don't think I did. I was too busy being pure as the driven snow. ;)

Lisa said...

hee hee! I like the way you explained it. I'm going to put that in the memory bank for future use!